The Orion Nebula (also known as Messier 42, M42, or NGC 1976) is a diffuse nebula situated in the Milky Way, being south of Orion's Belt in the constellation of Orion.[b] It is one of the brightest nebulae, and is visible to the naked eye in the night sky. M42 is located at a distance of 1,344 ± 20 light years and is the closest region of massive star formation to Earth. The M42 nebula is estimated to be 24 light years across. It has a mass of about 2,000 times that of the Sun.
- Location: Kissimmee Prairie State Park
- Scope: Takahashi FSQ-106ED
- Camera: Fli ML8300 with CFW2-7 and Astrodon Filters
- 600 sec Lum / 300 sec subs RBG bin 2 / 600 sec HA applied 50% to red (Hydrogen Alpha) and 50% blue (False hydrogen beta) / 600 sec Oiii applied to Blue - Maxim DL
- Combined and processed in Pixinsight
- Taken 1/20/14
Here is another color image